Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Honoring Our Own

I would like to share a couple of fun polls that are being conducted within the community. Everyone knows that each year Time Magazine names a Person of the Year and I think it is great that the GLBT community is also recognizing those that are making a difference within our own ranks.

First off, LittleRockPride.com is holding nominations for an Arkansas 2006 GLBT Person of The Year. I am very proud of the strides we are making in my home state and I think it is great that we have this chance to recognize those individuals (and groups) that are making a difference. Not to influence your vote, but off the top of my head I can think of several deserving recipients…Kathy Webb, ACLU-Arkansas, The Arkansas AIDS Foundation, Stonewall Democrats, CAR/CLQA, Barb and her site LittleRockPride.com, The Star and The Pink Spectrum, The NWA GLBT community center, Literary Pride and Cinema Pride, The Pink House guys that organize Conway Pride, the folks behind Eureka Springs Diversity Weekend, the Diamond State Rodeo Association, Eric Reece of PALS, Cornelius Mabin of The Body Politic (see links), Rick Ramsey and The Arkansas Gay History blog (see links), The Human Rights Campaign, Carolyn Wagner of Families United Against Hate, our Gay/Straight Alliances, our bar, business owners, entertainers and gay professionals and our couples that openly celebrate their commitment ceremonies…..the list can go on and on. Let’s take a moment to think about those that have given back and recognize their achievements! Nominations should be sent to barb@littlerockpride.com by December 29th and voting will be held December 30th-January 5th. For more information, visit http://littlerockpride.com/ and while you’re there, check out some of the Profiles in Pride, read the blogs, vote in the surveys, check the calendar for upcoming events and see the links and advertisers that our supporting our community. I think we have a lot to be proud of here in the GLBT community of Arkansas.

Next, I would like to promote Joe.My.God’s Queer of the Year poll. Anyone that reads my blog is aware of my near idol-worship of Joe’s blog and I am glad to help get the word out for Queer of the Year. Below you can see the six finalist and vote for your favorite. I must admit that I was not familiar with a couple of the nominees, but it is well worth your time to read up on them--- just visit http://joemygod.blogspot.com/ and click on the links to their bios. Have fun!

Blogging note--- I am having problems with the HTML code for The Queer of The Year poll, so just visit the Joe.My.God site and vote there until I can get it resolved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home